Monday, October 12, 2015

Growing up

It's with a little anxiety that I post this, feeling the desire/pressure to be consistent, unlike I have been, and write on a weekly basis.  But I'm diving in, so we'll see how it goes!

     There's a certain beauty, nostalgia, joy and sadness that comes with the passing of time, changes in seasons and years and growing up.  I felt this poignantly as I packed up the kids summer clothes and exchanged them with the next size up and their fall/winter wear.  They're growing up fast and its hard and beautiful to watch it happen. The nostalgia of a favorite outfit or the story behind that stain or the holes in the knee.  The shorts that were really too short and need to be removed from the bin of too-small clothes to be saved for the next sibling down the line or the eventuality of another possible additional blessing in the future, should God see fit.







     I enjoy cleaning out, organizing.  The anticipation of this outfit combo at the pumpkin patch and the memories to be had there. Or jumping in leaves and sledding down hills or snug jammies on cozy nights reading a good book, playing games and drinking hot cocoa.  I hope for a slower winter/Christmas season filled with friends, hot drinks, cozy nights and awe and wonder.  We'll make all kinds of cookie creations, serve the poor and learn to give ourselves as a family in a new way to the Christ-child who changed and divided history with His grace-gift and sacrifice.









     I wonder what my spiritual growing-up looks like to Him.  Does He smile with amusement and some relief at memories of my stumblings and rantings  I imagine He celebrates my small victories and is eager to see the growth from future lessons.  May I grow up in Him, in His timing, not remaining stuck unnaturally in a certain stage nor pushing for more than He's ready to give or I'm ready to receive.

2 comments:

  1. You are such a good writer, and therefore make me jealous! :) I'm glad you're back to your blog! (and I like the fall background) Love! Sharon

    ReplyDelete