Monday, October 19, 2015

Heaven in a child's eyes

Nice title, right?  Today was not one of those days.  Today was up too early, nap too soon and too tired and hungry to want to use sign language to ask for food, aka obedience training.  Ever tried much obedience training?  It can be hard.  It is always hard with a tired child!!  Does that mean to forgo obedience training at that time?  I don't think so.  I certainly don't think obedience should only be expected when one is well rested and happy - where would that leave me?  Scott free! Lol.


  Anyway, there we were, Eve and I trying to do Math at the kitchen table and baby desperately (but not too desperately) wanting veggies straws.  He was desperate enough to wail and cry like he was being tortured but not enough to sign more when he finished his first two straws.  I put him through the paces a couple times - using his own hands to sign "more, please" but after the first couple times of that, he pulled away and plopped himself down, wailing even louder.  He adamantly refused to sign and cried to make your heart break or have you pull out your hair- whichever you might be inclined toward.  So, thankfully, after a time in bed to rethink his behavior, he chose to bring his hands together and request "more" at lunchtime with significantly less difficulty than before. :)



     What does this have to do with my title?  Not much except that the self-same little boy has a gift that I pray the mercy and grace to be able to cultivate and witness the fruit thereof.  He's a people person.  He notices them, calling them out with his eyes, with his winsome smile.  Often seeming to pick out of a crowd those who appear sad, lonely or self-absorbed.  Inviting them into joy, inviting them to turn up the corners of their mouths over something simple, beyond themselves. And I wonder what this one will be, my little prophet of joy, of looking beyond self.





Aren't naked babies so adorable!















  I noticed this first and distinctly, this searching out, pursuing the aloof or alone with his eyes, when we were at an airport awaiting our trip to Costa Rica.  He was 4 months old. He couldn't talk or make much noise but he wiggled and stared down and smiled with such focus and determination toward a man who was completely oblivious to the attention he was receiving.  Most of the time, he won over the object of his smile, though there were times I felt disappointed for him and even more for his studied subject because they missed out on the warmth of a smile and of being surprised by joy.






 I want to be that one who doesn't look past those hurting, marginalized or ostracized but looks into them, as Jesus did, and seeks to light a spark of joy and hope into that isolated heart.  I want to be intentional with my love, not so absorbed in my own needs and desires that I completely overlook the lost, the hurting, the lonely right in front of me.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     I also don't want to be that tired child who fails to humbly submit in obedience to the Father, who fails to see the importance or value of His ways and stubbornly fights for what I want.  May I hear and respond with willingness and joy when the Spirit speaks, my heart, my will jumping to obey, delighted that he would even call me to do something above, beyond myself.  He thinks of me to call me to obedience and that alone should be enough to leap with joy and respond rather than drag my feet or grudgingly, unwillingly warring against the Spirit like I often will when it's not my own inclination.  God help me!  God help me raise this little boy who causes me to wonder.


No comments:

Post a Comment