Monday, May 22, 2017

Belonging/Possessing

     There's something deeply ingrained in our nature, in our DNA, that gives us an essential need for belonging.  We want to know where we fit in, with whom we can let down our guard and be secure.  Belonging can be a scary thing too.  Belonging to a generous, gracious, good person is a joy of interpersonal richness, whereas belonging to a mean, exacting or self-absorbed person can be a very great burden.  Belonging can be a restricting, slavish bond or a releasing freedom to become the fullness of your potential in a safe, encouraging, life-giving haven.
  We closed Friday on a beautiful 1920's 5000 sf home on 2 acres in the town of Culpeper, VA.  It's a dream of a place, or at least it will be when we are finished with the major renovations.  We've been renting for 5 years and taking good care of the place, but there's a deeper level of responsibility, care that goes into a home when you own it.  It's thrilling, empowering and scary!  It has stimulated me to think long about what it means to possess something or be possessed, the fact that I belong to the Godhead, and He has humbled Himself to be called mine.
     As the rightful possessor of my life, having first purchased it at the highest price- His own life, and then ASKED that I willingly offer this life to Him which is rightfully His both by nature of creation, nature of His omnipotent provision which is over and on all things, and by deed of purchase, He never grasps for His own gain.  The whole purpose of His possession is to set us FREE!  We think of possession as something to gain, to have and hold and do what we will.  He thinks of possession as something to give back, to open-handedly allow to blossom to fullest potential and give every resource to that end.  Just as He gave His life willingly in order to take it up again; so, He asks us to willingly lay down our lives for Him in order to take them up again in newness of abundant life.  His is a liberating possession.
   Our house is much like lives without Christ, in need of great repair after years of disuse and misuse but with really good bones and structure, with great potential to reflect the excellence and beauty of our Triune God.  It won't happen over night, but with intention to free it from the damage done to it and vision for what it could be, it will be grand and will reflect a piece of the nature and redemption of the Father.  What once was a house of mourning (one of its many prior uses a funeral home), it will                                                                                    become a place of joy and blessing to the nations.
























Now I Belong to Jesus
Jesus, my Lord will love me forever,
From Him no pow'r of evil can sever,
He gave His life to ransom my soul;
Now I belong to Him; 

Chorus
Now I belong to Jesus,
Jesus belongs to me,
Not for the years of time alone,
But for eternity.

Once I was lost in sin's degradation,
Jesus came down to bring me salvation,
Lifted me up from sorrow and shame,
Now I belong to Him; 


Chorus
Now I belong to Jesus,
Jesus belongs to me,
Not for the years of time alone,
But for eternity.

Joy floods my soul for Jesus has saved me,
Freed me from sin that long had enslaved me
His precious blood, He came to redeem,
Now I belong to Him; 

Chorus
Now I belong to Jesus,
Jesus belongs to me,
Not for the years of time alone,
But for eternity. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifv_Bi0FZDc

Story behind the hymn
https://wordwisehymns.com/2013/03/27/now-i-belong-to-jesus/

1 comment:

  1. GOD has given you a great talent to write in the midst of it all. One recognizes you have a heart after God. One day I want to be singing This Old House. Won't need it any longer! Ha. Your new house has character and potential. Just like us!

    ReplyDelete