Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Day 4 and 5

You're probably beginning to wonder at this point, if there's an end to my blogging today, if you gotten this far.  And, there is.
  Rising just after dawn, Jon and I ate another grilled breakfast sandwich and warmed ourselves by the fire, then packed up before getting the children in the car and heading in search of showers and the lower Yosemite falls trail.  The showers were refreshing and the short trek to the falls enjoyable - especially the Eve-led expedition off trail and scrambling over rocks with myself and both girls up to the base of the falls.  I can't count the times when I had to just trust God and look away as Eve says "I got it mommy, I don't need any help." I am also so thankful for my parents gifting us as children with the freedom to explore and do the dangerous and adventurous, while laying aside their own fears but with caution.  I also remember Eve saying at one point: "Mommy, I feel like you only care about Emma and not about me cause you're helping her."  I reminded her that she was handling the rocks just fine and kept spurning my help when I offered it, but also let her know that I was proud of her and more than willing to help her too when she wanted it.  I am grateful to God for the safety and for yet another body part - my legs.  I'm thankful for long legs (or long enough - ok I know I'm not tall, Dad) to jump, extend over places that the girls little legs could not, so I could help them up and over the challenging places.  I'm glad for the flexibility and strength of my legs and for my girls' eagerness and adventurous spirits- brave and anxious to risk and challenge themselves with such veracity!  We also enjoyed a jaunt to Bridalveil falls.  I was amazed by how well a little 3&5 yr old did!  At one point as we were climbing the rocks, I needed to get car keys to Jon and contemplated tossing them to him. However, on second thought, I remembered that at times my history of throwing keys didn't turn out so nicely and we could easily have lost them forever.  All that to say - I didn't throw the keys and we are still driving today!  Dad and Tirzah will appreciate this part the most. :)
     The rest of the day was a lot of driving and Judah incessantly calling "mommy" and wanting attention, salad at Chili's, frozen yogurt and a trek to LA.  We had to forego our trip to the Sequoia's because of time and the drive it would've taken to get there. :(  Maybe anther time.  It was a cloudless, warm day in So Cal and Eve wished for rain over the heat - like a true Western Washingtonian!
   Disneyland was yesterday - we got free parking, arriving around 8am.  It was a full day of rides, not too much waiting in line and the enjoyment of watching the wonder of it all through the eyes of my children.  The girls really enjoyed Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain as well as "It's a Small World."  But for Eve, the day wasn't complete until she got to meet and talk to Belle.  Thankfully, that came in the evening and her trip to Disneyland was satisfied!  The parade was great too and the girls were enthralled.  I learned that sometimes emotion can overwhelm a person nearly to tears - not so much for the beauty or excellence of something but in seeing someone thoroughly appreciate and enjoy a moment in time.  Maybe that's mostly a heart overflowing with love and seeing the unabashed, uninhibited enjoyment of experiences in my girls' faces.  Also, for all its faults and the disagreements I have with Disney and it's productions - they do things with excellence and I appreciated that and the superb customer service.  We left Disney around 9:30 and the kids crashed hard.
   Up again today before 6, woke the kids up at 7 and hit the road.  Now, they all sleep peacefully in the back as we drive toward Grand Canyon.

No comments:

Post a Comment