Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Day 3 in the journey

Up early and on the road after a breakfast of egg/ham/cheese muffins cooked over an open flame of gathered wood - including the dried stump of a tree that I pulled out of the ground. We reached Yosemite close to noon and made our way through winding pavement and a very rugged trail of a road to our campsite by Yosemite Creek.  As we searched for a site, I wondered whether mom would choose a site closer to the bathroom or to the creek.  Luckily, we didn't have to choose between the two as we found a great spot close to both!  As we waded in the creek and climbed surrounding rocky hills, Eve was our fearless leader.  She scrambled up and over  rocks like a pro and, of course, was singing at the top of her lungs.  The two songs I remember consisted of her own version of "Arky, Arky" and a song she made up declaring that the Lord would show us the way and lead us safely home.  While Jon and Judah napped in the tent, the girls and I explored more of the river, pretending to be mermaids - I got a sand birthday cake and struggled for the right to choose what we would do next.  On a second attempt, we found a way to conquer the mountain across the creek from us. Barefoot and clambering over rocks and rills, we enjoyed ourselves but also had sore, tired feet before we made it back down to the coolness of the river.
  We had Mexican for dinner (better than the restaurant) - been and cheese burritos and chicken/cheese taquitos, cooked over the fire, along with some chips and salsa!  Unusual camping fare, it seemed, but we enjoyed it before one last hike among the rocks and over-populated mosquitos.  We offered some taquitos to our neighboring campers but they were vegetarians.
   Two things haunted me all day.  1.  My dear brother Jer who so enjoyed the outdoors and the kinds of adventures we were having.  I wondered what kind of adventures he was enjoying now.  It brought back so many old camping memories from childhood - especially the time Jer, Matt and i  climbed around on a mountainside in Zion Nat'l Park while Dad set up camp and Mom made dinner. (It's hard to believe that I'm now in her spot with 3 of my own.)  Matt almost stepped on a Rattlesnake as we hiked down the mountain and rather than thanking God and moving speedily on like I was inclined to do, my brothers found a stick and started prodding the innocent bystander.  It still amazes me that it slunk away rahter than taking a bite out of any of us.  At any rate, I have very fond memories of those trips and hikes with my siblings and parents.  After a long night as I lay praying for dawn, I realized too how nice it must have been  for my parents to upgrade from a tent to a pop-up camper.  2.  I was haunted by The Shack and watchfulness over my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment