Monday, June 12, 2017

In need of Grace

     This project is daunting, and I keep reminding myself that we're in it for the long haul, not just a quick fix.  As I work on a project, I have to keep myself from looking around the room at all the other projects waiting to be done there, lest I get overwhelmed with the fact that I can't get it all done at once!!!  Each day I realize I must fix my gaze on two things: the task at hand and the goal.  Worrying about everything in between is not beneficial but leads to all kinds of doubts and questions and fears.  And I realize moment by moment how much grace I need with myself, grace for what I can accomplish in an allotted time frame, for what my body has strength for or my limited understanding can plan and process.  I also need grace for my husband, as we're both tired, easily overwhelmed while living in a messy construction zone.  We liked things clean, put together, everything in its place.., God has a sense of humor.  I need grace for my children, their constant needs, learning to love one another above themselves, learning to serve, processing the craziness, working together and obeying.  And as I've pondered the need for grace, more grace, this hymn came to mind.
     In fact, during communion yesterday, I saw myself, much like this house: a huge work in progress.  I've got messes and am a project in every facet of my life. I need the great Carpenter to come in to every aspect and overhaul and make all things new.  How thankful I am that as He looks at me, He doesn't get overwhelmed and throw His hands up in exasperation or hopelessness.  He sees my finished product, the beauty originally intended and is willing to take one little thing at a time and chip away, sand, scrub, rebuild and make one thing new at a time.  He's in it for the process too, not just the end product.  He's not trying to rush me through just to get done.  I think He actually enjoys the journey, the little progresses He rejoices over.  His grace covers all my sin, all my flaws and scars and brokenness and He works to bring beauty out of the midst!  How thankful I am for His grace. There's no end to it, there's nothing too big or too hidden for it.  It is abundant and it is freely, joyfully given.


  1. Marvelous grace of our loving Lord,
    Grace that exceeds our sin and our guilt!
    Yonder on Calvary’s mount outpoured,
    There where the blood of the Lamb was spilled.
    • Refrain:
      Grace, grace, God’s grace,
      Grace that will pardon and cleanse within;
      Grace, grace, God’s grace,
      Grace that is greater than all our sin!
  2. Sin and despair, like the sea waves cold,
    Threaten the soul with infinite loss;
    Grace that is greater, yes, grace untold,
    Points to the refuge, the mighty cross.
  3. Dark is the stain that we cannot hide;
    What can we do to wash it away?
    Look! There is flowing a crimson tide,
    Brighter than snow you may be today.
  4. Marvelous, infinite, matchless grace,
    Freely bestowed on all who believe!
    You that are longing to see His face,
    Will you this moment His grace receive?





















https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/resources/history-of-hymns-grace-greater-than-our-sin

No comments:

Post a Comment