Sunday, March 26, 2017

Love- so deep

...that you may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height - to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge -- then you will be filled with all the fullness of GOD.  Eph 3:18,19

     Our church has been going through a sermon series discussing the context of family that GOD has designed for His creation and His church.  We have been adopted as children, and He is our great and loving Father.  This process of seeing Him more rightly has opened my eyes to false beliefs that I have subtly bought into.  Beliefs not of an adopted daughter but of an orphan, a fatherless child believing somehow that I'm striving more for Him than He is for me, that I desire Him and have to reach out for Him in hopes that He'll turn His love and affection and desire toward me.  How easy in the midst of life's struggles or our seeking to slip into a belief system that we want more of Him than He wants to give us of Himself.  Beloved, He has ALREADY FREELY given us ALL things.  IF we could but comprehend an inkling of the Father's love for us, we would be so rooted and grounded, so all fired
up confident in His love that we would most naturally walk in the fullness of His Godhead and power.  We would be unstoppable, fearless in the light of His affection and the COMPLETENESS of His salvation and our sonship and present inheritance of all that is HIS.  Oh to grab hold of this fully...my head could never really be downcast, my heart filled with fear, my desire feel unsatisfied, for then I would KNOW that I can only reach out for Him because He is already holding me close to His heart.   I can comprehend better His love and the mystery of the GOSPEL and its complete transformation and place of belonging and affection it gives, but I can't be brought closer or made more whole than what He has already accomplished on the cross through His Son.  

This is the other hymn I would often sing my children to sleep with.  May it wrap them and you, and me in a deeper comprehension of the LOVE OF GOD.


Oh the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus
1 Oh, the deep, deep love of Jesus,
vast, unmeasured, boundless, free!
Rolling as a mighty ocean
in its fullness over me!                                      
Underneath me, all around me,
is the current of thy love -
leading onward, leading homeward,
to that glorious rest above!

2 Oh, the deep, deep love of Jesus -
spread his praise from shore to shore!
How he loves us, ever loves us,
changes never, nevermore!
How he watches o'er his loved ones,
died to call them all his own;
how for them he's interceding,
watching o'er them from the throne!

3 Oh, the deep, deep love of Jesus,
love of every love the best!
'Tis an ocean vast of blessing,
'tis a haven sweet of rest!
Oh, the deep, deep love of Jesus -
'tis heaven of heavens to me;
and it lifts me up to glory,
for it lifts me up to thee!



We had worship dancing at our wedding. There is something moving, stirring, beautiful and worshipful about it.  This version of the hymn is videoed with some beautiful worship dancing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH-EEwcmnjM

Brief but insightful story behind this hymn:
https://austinbhebe.wordpress.com/hymns-directory/redeeming-love/o-the-deep-deep-love-of-jesus/

No comments:

Post a Comment