Sunday, February 5, 2017

One of Those Days




Friday was one of those days. One of those days I don't want to have again for a really, really long time. Have you ever had one of those? Nothing particularly tragic or crushing occurred, but it was a series of multiple complaints, multiple acts of disobedience, and one tired, uncomfortable body jumbled on top of one another. I'm sure you too have had a chance to yell, "would you just control yourself!!" followed by a stunning inward realization that you were not anywhere close to exhibiting the kind of behavior you would like to be demonstrated.   

            And after several hours of disciplining others while Holy Spirit is disciplining you, you just want to collapse in a mess of tears of frustration and self-deprecation. "I've spent the morning blowing it again," my mind tells me.  "When are you ever going to learn?"  And I can't seem to get away from the nagging sense of inadequacy and inward brokenness. I see clearly my need but not so clearly the way out. Then, while taking a few minutes to debrief with my sewing machine, relegating the children to my husbands care for a breather, I hear this song come on Pandora and I breathe. I breathe gratitude, relief, hope, freedom from condemnation.      
                                        There is a Fountain
 1. There is a fountain filled with blood 
drawn from Emmanuel's veins;
and sinners plunged beneath that flood
lose all their guilty stains.
Lose all their guilty stains,
lose ALL their guilty stains;
and sinners plunged beneath that flood
lose all their guilty stains. 

2. The dying thief rejoiced to see
that fountain in his day;
and there may I, though vile as he,
wash all my sins away.
Wash all my sins away,
wash all my sins away;
and there may I, though vile as he,  
wash all my sins away.






                 

3. Dear dying Lamb, thy precious blood 
shall never lose its power 
till all the ransomed church of God 
be saved, to sin no more. 
Be saved, to sin no more, 
be saved, to sin no more; 
till all the ransomed church of God 
be saved, to sin no more. 
 













  4. E'er since, by faith, I saw the stream 
thy flowing wounds supply,
redeeming love has been my theme,
and shall be till I die.
And shall be till I die,
and shall be till I die;
redeeming love has been my theme,
and shall be till I die. 










5. Then in a nobler, sweeter song, 
I'll sing thy power to save, 
when this poor lisping, stammering tongue
lies silent in the grave.
Lies silent in the grave,
lies silent in the grave;
when this poor lisping, stammering tongue
lies silent in the grave. 
  






I find sweet relief in the reminder that ALL of my sins have been washed away!  He didn't redeem me just from a few or for a while but EVERY sin upon Him was laid.  My heart is not stirred to become lax and unconcerned but stirred up to love more deeply and follow in closer obedience to the One who has set me free from sin's condemnation and has taken it all upon Himself. Amazing Grace!  How sweet the sound!
Story behind the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlgpIpvW8e8
Two great renditions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b25-LJjrGQA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH5u7UuzDyc


No comments:

Post a Comment