Sunday, February 19, 2017

What wondrous love!

 How deep the Father's love for us!  How vast beyond all measure!  That you would give Your only Son not only to redeem me and call me a child but to be my bridegroom- me who had nothing, nothing for this arrangement except my brokenness, depravity and filth.  Me, you called white and clothed my nakedness, cleansing me from all filth and stain to become the very righteousness of God in Christ.  And it was You who brought all to the table - all the love and desire, all the preparation, all the clothing, all the Bride price and You ask only for my willingness and for my acceptance- for a heart that says "Yes" to that! Who could not!  What wondrous love is this, O my soul, O my soul! What wondrous love is this that He should send His only Son to make this wretch His treasure!  How can it be!  That I should gain an interest in the Savior's blood - Oh the preemptive, prevenient grace that captures and draws me!



What Wondrous Love is This!







 What wondrous love is this, O my soul, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this
That caused the Lord of bliss
To bear the dreadful curse for my soul, for my soul,
To bear the dreadful curse for my soul!









When I was sinking down, sinking down, sinking down,
When I was sinking down, sinking down,
When I was sinking down
Beneath God’s righteous frown,
Christ laid aside His crown for my soul for my soul,
Christ laid aside His crown for my soul.










To God and to the Lamb I will sing, I will sing;

To God and to the Lamb I will sing; 
To God and to the Lamb, 
Who is the great I AM, 
While millions join the theme, I will sing, I will sing,
While millions join the theme, I will sing.


 And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on;
And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on.
And when from death I’m free 
I’ll sing His love for me,
And through eternity I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on,
And through eternity I’ll sing on.






"What Wondrous Love Is This" (often just referred to as "Wondrous Love") is a Christian folk hymn, sometimes described as a "white spiritual", from the American South. Its text was first published in 1811, during the Second Great Awakening, and its melody derived from a popular English ballad. The hymn's lyrics were first published in Lynchburg, Virginia in the c. 1811 camp meeting songbook A General Selection of the Newest and Most Admired Hymns and Spiritual Songs Now in Use. The lyrics may also have been printed, in a slightly different form, in the 1811 book Hymns and Spiritual Songs, Original and Selected published in Lexington, Kentucky. (It was included in the third edition of this text published in 1818, but all copies of the first edition have been lost.) In most early printings, the hymn's text was attributed to an anonymous author, though the 1848 hymnal The Hesperian Harp attributes the text to a Methodist pastor from Oxford, Georgia named Alexander Means.
Most sources attribute the hymn's melody to the 1701 English song "The Ballad of Captain Kidd", which describes the exploits of pirate William Kidd (misnamed "Robert" in American versions of the ballad).The melody itself predates the Kidd usage, however, possibly by more than a century.
 - borrowed from Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment