Wednesday, March 18, 2015

35 and counting

    Yup.  I'm officially half way to 70! ( I know this is what my husband was thinking as he came into the living room early that morning with a wry smile trying hard not to make any subtle or not so subtle remarks about my extended years.)  My next post was going to be on a different topic but my day yesterday is worth recounting, at least in part if for no other reason than to give you a good laugh.  One would think that being a year older would make one more responsible, neater and more calm and collected.  Well, I started my day making more of a mess than I think I have all year!

      It started out sedate enough with my hungry baby alarm clock causing me to rise around 5:45am.  He ate, I had some nice quiet time with my Savior, did some vigorous exercising (check!) and showered myself and baby - even getting a chance to scrub down the shower and bath really well while I was at it! (check! check!) Can you see my to do list progressing nicely already!?!

   Well, that's about where the sense of accomplishment ended.  I went into the kitchen to start breakfast and by this time was actually running a little later in the morning than I like to with breakfast.  I had to first put away my dehydrator that had finished making some plantain chips and some zucchini chips (will definitely make a bunch of zucchini chips this summer as kids love them and they're two simple ingredients - thin sliced zucchini and some salt!).  However, in order to put away the dehydrator I had to first remove my crockpot and fryer.  Unfortunately, the latter had some grease on the bottom which was then transferred to my skirt in the process.  Yet, with a greasy skirt and dehydrator put away, I moved on to the breakfast part.  I needed some flour; so, I put some wheat berries in my Whisper Mill and turned it on.  Note to self...ALWAYS make sure the connection between the grinder and container is very tightly secured before turning it on.  Well, as you might have guessed, it wasn't and I was swinging wildly in the direction of the on/off switch with ground wheat spewing all over my face, chest and nicely washed and wet hair!

    I was now tarred and feathered for the day and felt more like I was resembling a breakfast pastry rather than having anything in my kitchen resemble something edible for breakfast!  Deep breaths.  In and out.  In and out. My husband walks in following my very controlled ejaculations and immediately finds the humor in the scene and then quickly finds his exit and stays away for the next 20 min!

   I actually did have the fortitude to find the humor in the incident right away but with 8:30 and 9 o'clock approaching, breakfast not done, myself and the kitchen, no less, a considerable mess and school no where close to being started, I also felt like crying and going back to bed!

   How does this saga end?  I get the kitchen cleaned up, breakfast put together, the floor swept and then recruited my husband to finish flipping Irish potato scones while I removed myself to look more presentable and start my day over!  There're only so many green clothes in any one person's closet!

    Starting over my day proved to be successful - starting with a delicious breakfast of turkey bacon, potato scones with easy over eggs on top and ending it with a delightful steak and potato dinner cooked by my husband, surrounded by good friends and a delicious Vegan, sugar free chocolate avocado cake with coconut/vanilla/chia seed pudding filling the inside and chocolate avocado mousse covering the outside and hazelnuts and raspberries decorating the rest!
   So thanks for the many birthday wishes..all's well that ends well!


http://scratchymama.com/skillet-potato-scones/  ( not as good as latkes)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/277464027019080532/  (vanilla coconut pudding)

http://www.scalingbackblog.com/sweet-treats/chocolate-hazelnut-avocado-cake/


1 comment:

  1. Some people go to great lengths to make a simple day memorable... :)

    ReplyDelete