Sunday, January 6, 2019

Paradox


Image result for paradox quote platoI was a teenager when the concept of paradoxes first captured my attention. I remember starting to write a book while lost in my swirling thoughts, staring out the van window on a road trip between Texas and Washington state, pondering deep things, hungering to know the One past all understanding.  I think it may have been some of Tozer's books that triggered the growing fascination with what seemed like so many opposing concepts being simultaneously joined, united in to one action of solidarity.  A paradox is a seemingly absurd or self-contradictory statement or proposition that when investigated or explained is proved to be well founded or true, opposing forces working as one.  But isn't all of life filled with a myriad of little examples of this from our days with a sunrise and sunset, plants needing rain and sunshine,water cycles including evaporation and precipitation. Yet, these are so familiar, part of every day living that they hardly seem paradoxes at all. 
Image result for paradoxes of faith   However, when we look at the Bible and Christian experience, paradoxical concepts can be much more difficult to swallow.  "In this world, you WILL have trouble, but don't worry, I have overcome the world."~Jesus  How confusing some of these Biblical paradoxes seem; how we wrestle over them as they are practically experienced or lived out in the Christian life.  Why do we have to die to live?  How do we gain in losing?  Is it even possible to be joyful in suffering?    How does becoming a servant make you free?  Image result for paradoxes of faith

  • We see unseen things.
  • We conquer by yielding.
  • We find rest under a yoke.
  • We reign by serving.
  • We are made great by becoming small.
  • We are exalted when we are humble.
  • We become wise by being fools for Christ’s sake.
  • We gain strength when we are weak.
  • We triumph through defeat.
  • We find victory by glorying in our infirmities.
  • We live by dying
  • Giving is receiving
  • Having nothing yet possessing all things

  •     But why should I venture to write on something that others more studious, brilliant, godly have already waxed eloquent about?  I don't know.  I just know that this has long haunted me and in stirring it again in my spirit, I believe God has something to teach me through my pursuit and often the best way to learn is by wrestling through the concepts ones-self, and discovering what the Spirit has to reveal.  I invite you to join me on this journey, share your thoughts.  Who knows? Perhaps by our shared experience, we will be changed and perhaps a new book, from a different angle filled with ancient concepts and fresh revelations will be birthed. Image result for paradoxes of faith



    2 comments:

    1. Those are all true from a Godview perspective. Seek and you will find. The mysteries will be revealed.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Jan Lehmann and I have talked for a long time about writing a book together on paradoxes!

      ReplyDelete