Sunday, July 1, 2018

Shalom..it's more than just peace

 John 14:27 (Complete Jewish Bible) "What I'm leaving you with is shalom.  I am giving you My shalom.  I don't give the way the world gives..." Praise God!  Praise God that He doesn't give the way the world gives, with strings attached, conditions, variability, available one moment and not the next.  When He gives, it's for life, it's full, dependent only on the faithfulness of His promise and assurance. 






   I just started reading a book that brings understanding or deeper meaning to Scriptures based on the original written languages and Jewish cultural context.   According to Ray Vander Laan, founder of That the World May Know ministries, the word "shalom" commonly translated as "peace" actually has a much more expansive meaning encompassing the whole character and nature of God, His perfection, His plans.  He leaves us with, gives us the very perfection and nature of God that we might bring God's shalom to the chaos of this world.  And isn't that what we long to be in our homes, families, relationships, work places?  To be conduits of the character- goodness, truth and beauty of the One and Only - bringing the Divine Nature and peace of the Almighty into the chaos around us and even within us? 
Indiana Corn Country
   It speaks to me of the grandest essence of peace with a weight of glory.  "We are supposed to partner with God to bring His shalom to the chaos of this world (Vander Laan)."  Gen 1:2...the Spirit of God hovered over the waters" could be translated "the Shalom of God hovered over the chaos."  I don't know about you, but that's what I need - the Shalom of God to hover over the chaos in my heart, home and work life.  I want the fullness of His nature and character to rest upon, move upon and through my life.  Because what happened when the Spirit of God hovered over the waters?  With intention He spoke, He created beauty, order, creativity, community, sustenance...He imparted Himself into something other, something empty, something incomplete till he spoke, intervened.  The presence of Holy Spirit, the Shalom of God can do nothing else; it does not hover without intention, without a development of beauty, transformation.
  And isn't that the gospel - all of it beginning to end?  God, who imparted Himself into His creation, saw it broken and with intention redeemed it that He might again and with greater depth give us His Shalom - leaving, imprinting, placing within us His perfection, nature, character and creative purpose - to go and change the world.  So, with that, shalom, my friends.  Let the peace that comes with God's perfect nature and intention guard your heart and mind that you might deliver that Shalom, be that Shalom in every place. 
Make me a channel of your peace

Make me a channel of your peace
Where there is hatred let me bring your love
Where there is injury, your pardon Lord
And where there's doubt, true faith in you

Make me a channel of your peace
Where there's despair in life let me bring hope
Where there is darkness, only light
And where there's sadness ever joy

Oh, master grant that I may never seek
So much to be consoled as to console
To be understood as to understand
To be loved as to love with all my soul

Make me a channel of your peace
It isn't pardoning that we are pardoned
In giving to all men let we receive
And in dying that we're born to turn around

Oh, master grant that I may never seek
So much to be consoled as to console
To be understood as to understand
To be loved as to love with all my soul

Make me a channel of your peace
Where there's despair in life let me bring hope
Where there is darkness, only light
And where there's sadness ever joy

Story behind the hymn
Song

No comments:

Post a Comment