Monday, January 16, 2017

Like a weaned child

Be still my soul...Like a weaned child is my soul within me.  I have calmed and quieted myself.  Ps 131:2  As a breastfeeding mother, I love those quiet moments after nursing when a child lays still in the arms in almost a drunken stupor of contentedness, satisfaction.  Everything is all right in the world, though, perhaps moments before the child may have been screaming out distress signals indicating hunger or need.  I think God often yearns for us in the midst of our pain and suffering, our brokenness to come quiet, not screaming and kicking, to Him and just rest ourselves in His all-powerful, comforting embrace.No automatic alt text available.




Image may contain: 2 people
No automatic alt text available.
Image may contain: 4 peopleImage may contain: 1 person
     Have you ever seen an animal caught in a trap or barbed wire?  They thrash and fight, further entangling and cutting themselves up and when a rescuer comes, they tend to thrash all the more, frightened, wounded, helpless yet still struggling to fix this on their own.  What does the rescuer want, need?? For the animal to rest, to relax and let him do the work of rescuing unencumbered.  If an animal will stop fearing and fighting, he can be quickly cut away from the entanglements, bandaged and set on the road to healing.  However, if it will not rest, will not trust, he could cause himself such damage that it will cost even his very life.
Image result for be still my soul
   I wonder how often in our struggles, Almighty God comes to our rescue, saying "Do not fear.  Rest in Me.  I will see you through.  No need to defend yourself, lash out at others in your pain or fight your way free of this trial.  Be still and watch how I will use this to make you an overcomer, to bring healing not only to you but to a broken and dying world which needs to see a soul submitted to My working power. "  How often do we really rest, not anxious, striving for release, but content to walk through a trial, stay in the trial and be purified by the trial as long as He would will it, trusting that when it has done its good work, I will be freed and healed.  "Bear patiently this cross of grief and shame."  Leave to thy God to order and provide - He who rules winds and seas, rules over the affairs of men and knows just what we need.  I think how often David spoke to himself - commanding his soul with its questions, fears, rising anxieties: Be still, my soul.  Hope/ put your trust in God for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God.   If you need some verses to help calm and quiet yourself, see a short list at the end.

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Image result for be still my soulThrough thorny ways leads to a joyful end.                 

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice Who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: when dearest friends depart,
And all is darkened in the vale of tears,
Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart,
There’s a lot going on outside of you too: http://wp.me/p2jD75-3zZ: Who comes to soothe thy sorrow and thy fears.
Be still, my soul: thy Jesus can repay
From His own fullness all He takes away.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord.
When disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past
All safe and blessèd we shall meet at last.

Be still, my soul: begin the song of praise
On earth, believing, to Thy Lord on high;
Acknowledge Him in all thy words and ways,
So shall He view thee with a well pleased eye.
Be still, my soul: the Sun of life divine
Through passing clouds shall but more brightly shine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq59iE3MhXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV3DEtJtho8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwkPsKe-39Y

Story behind the song
https://www.sermonwriter.com/hymn-stories/be-still-my-soul

Psalm 46:10 ESV / 

“Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”

Exodus 14:14 ESV /

The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.”

Psalm 37:7 ESV /

Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices!

Psalm 62:5 ESV / 

For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him.

Mark 4:39 ESV / 

And he awoke and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, “Peace! Be still!” And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.

Job 6:24 ESV / 

“Teach me, and I will be silent; make me understand how I have gone astray.

Psalm 23:1-6 ESV / 

A Psalm of David. The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. ...

Psalm 131:2 ESV /

But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me.

Isaiah 41:10-13 ESV / 

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Behold, all who are incensed against you shall be put to shame and confounded; those who strive against you shall be as nothing and shall perish. You shall seek those who contend with you, but you shall not find them; those who war against you shall be as nothing at all. For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you.”

Psalm 91:1-16 ESV / 

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler. You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day, ...

1 Peter 3:4 ESV / 

But let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.

Lamentations 3:24-26 ESV / 

“The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.” The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.

Philippians 4:6 ESV / 

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment